Hopefully you will find the answer you are looking for to most commonly asked questions. If not, please give us a call on 01892 526325 and we will do our very best to answer any further questions you may have. If we are not at home please email: email@example.com with your questions. These questions are answered as accurately as possible; we so want you to arrive at the cottages with the right expectations and to have a really great break away.
It’s always risky to recommend somewhere because good cooks come and go!
We would value your feedback on any local restaurants including these mentioned below.
The nearest restaurant is Hafod Hotel, just down the hill at Devil’s Bridge and it had new owners in 2016, so watch this space but we have had good feedback from guests.
The Miners Arms nearby in Pontrhydygroes offers good value traditional Sunday lunches. We have not been there recently. 01974 282238.
The best meal we found in 2016 was at The Harbourmaster Hotel, Aberaeron; a great place for lunch on the sea front. It is in the Michelin Guide 2016 too.
A pub with a strong local reputation was Y Ffarmers Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, Aberystwyth SY23 4LA BUT IT BURNT DOWN on 27 January 2018 and we await news of it reopening. Y Ffarmers is the cream coloured house in the centre of this lovely picture by Lizzie Spikes
It was all about good Welsh food and beer served in an attractive relaxed atmosphere by friendly staff. We have had many good meals in the lovely restaurant including good Sunday lunches. In July 2017 Caitlin and Lewis took over the running of the pub and they were ensuring that high standards are maintained. When it is rebuilt, do book before you go. Our SatNav took us to the door and the drive was 22 minutes.
Also 22 minutes away is The Druid at Goginan, SY23 3NT 01970 880650 and the bar and restaurant there are very popular. The pub has been in the Good Beer Guide for over 40 years and was local pub of the year in 2014. They also welcome dogs and we have had great feedback in 2017. Ty Mari visitors rate this place highly. Friendly and good value with generous helpings! See the bar below:
If you are in Aberystwyth and would enjoy a good view of the beach area try Baravin. It is great for pizzas, pastas and sea food but it can get very crowded so booking might be wise. 01970 611189 and firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s on the front at 1 Llys y Brenin, SY23 2AP. In July 2017 we had an excellent Sunday lunch on the sea front at Gwesty Cymru.
The Hive on the Quay at Aberaeron (Cadwgan Place SA46 0BU 01545 570445) is a ‘funky friendly place serving American-style food with a European influence’. Honey ice cream is made on the premises and not to be missed.
Yes we do and can email one to you on request but unfortunately the cottages are not well-suited to people with significant disability.
I see you have your main address in Kent. If something isn’t working or some other kind of help with the cottage is needed, is anyone on hand?
Yes, we have our caretaker almost next door and our cottage servicing team just ten minutes away. They all know the cottages inside out!
Both cottages have a shower attachment integral with the bath taps but you cannot really shower. The uneven walls and lack of bathroom space make fitting a separate shower a challenge. There is something good about relaxing in a hot bath after a great day out!
No smoking indoors please and no cigarette ends outside! The holiday is a great opportunity to break the habit! If smoking in the garden area, please be aware of possible guests next door and ensure they are not close by. If you are staying in Penroc then the balcony could be an OK place to enjoy smoking and if you are in Ty Mari, the Garden Room is OK to smoke in but please keep the door open and leave it free of any evidence of smoking afterwards. Thank you.
Cwtch, (which means ‘hug’) Pontrhydygroes SY25 6DQ (01974 282563) is a little over 4 miles and less than 15 minutes careful drive…the road is very narrow! The store lives up to its name, stocks essentials and much more, has great home baking, along with having a very friendly cafe with everything at amazing prices but dogs not allowed in. Open 10am to 6pm Monday to Saturday, 10am – 4pm Sundays. Follow the Google Map link and the shop/cafe is adjacent to the big green garage building on your right in Pontrhydygroes. The nearest garage is a BP Garage on A44 at Ponterwyd, 7.3 miles and 17 minutes drive (turn left when you reach A44). It also sells newspapers 7 days a week and has a mini-supermarket. From Easter to 30 September each year the Woodland Cafe at Devil’s Bridge sells a few groceries, newspapers (MUST order the day before) and gifts seven days a week and has an adjoining Tearoom and Games Room. The Tearoom sells a good breakfast, snacks and homemade cakes. 01970 890423 and SY23 3JW (just a few hundred yards towards Ponterwyd from The Falls).
Our neighbours Reg and Marj Budd are some of the most hospitable people in the world. Nothing posh but B & B at a bargain rate with a lovely breakfast…and you can even book an evening meal when they are not too busy. Two double rooms and a twin, all en-suite or almost so. They are also letting their end-of-terrace cottage opposite Ty Mari Yr Hen Sgubor for holiday lets. It is completely refurbished and accommodates six people (a double, a twin and two single bedrooms, a shower and separate bathroom). Book through Cottages.com on 0345 4986900
Ty Mari (or Penroc), Cwmystwyth, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 4AD
Yes, the beds will be made up and waiting for you and there will be bath towels on the beds, hand towels in the bathroom and kitchen and clean dish towels in the kitchen area. If you are staying longer than a week and would like a change of sheets and towels, just let Alan, our caretaker, know.
That is, of course, up to you! If you are coming via Abergavenny then there are 2 favourite places that we stop at for breakfast or lunch but of course things can change so don’t hold us to the recommendations! Firstly there is the Honey Pot Cafe at Bronllys, LD3 0LH 01874 711904. There is a brown sign to it on the A479 near Talgarth. It opens from 9am to 10pm (but January to Easter hours are shorter so check the website) and we have never been disappointed. There is also The Court Room Cafe, Crickhowell NP8 1BD 01873 812497. This opens really early and is great value for breakfast, lunch or snacks. There are reviews on TripAdvisor. Parking in the street is usually easy. It is in the Market Hall (pillars outside), High Street.
ASDA.com and Tesco.com deliver to the cottages if you register and order online. They have never let us down but we do suggest you say on the order that the cottage is up an unsurfaced track immediately past The Old Post Office.
COOK delivers Tuesday to Friday for a very reasonable delivery charge. You can have wonderful frozen meals delivered for your stay and the freezers have good space, especially in Ty Mari. The meals come in a disposable cool box so you don’t have to hang around awaiting a delivery!
The Spa at Rhayader is en route for most people and will meet most every day requirements; there is also a large Morrisons and M & S Food Store in Aberystwyth.
For fabulous fresh meat phone Bob the butcher in West Street, Rhayader and place your order. If your route takes you through Rhayader you will pass his shop. He can deliver for pick up in Devil’s Bridge by arrangement on Fridays. Call 01597 810342.
The main road to the village is snow ploughed pretty quickly but the mountain road that goes direct to Rhayader is best avoided. Use the A44 via Devil’s Bridge. Alan from our cleaning team has a 4×4 for a tow if needed but hopefully that stays a very rare event! Don’t forget there is a toboggan in Ty Mari loft!
Richard has a 6 seat Land Rover Discovery licensed for private hire, both local and long distance. Call 01974261425/07773182001 or email@example.com
- Up to two well behaved dogs are very welcome at each cottage.
- There should be a dog collar tag in each cottage on a key hook. PLEASE replace it when you leave!
- Please keep them downstairs when possible and off the beds and sofas.
- If you leave a dog behind in the cottage when you go out, please be confident he/she is not going to bark and upset people in the next door cottages.
- Ty Mari and Penroc share garden space and the fencing is not dog-proof. The cottages are ‘dog-friendly’ in that we welcome dogs there. None the less the shared gardens are not always ideal. Penroc’s entrance door is from the shared garden area but Ty Mari entrance is onto a ‘no through’ track between cottages.
- There are ticks in Wales, commonest in spring and autumn. There is a tick remover hook in the dresser draw of each cottage.
- Please clear up any dog mess left around the cottages. There is a spade in the Garden Store room and the brambles benefit from the ‘fertilizer’ you drop over the end of the terrace! Out on walks, biodegradable bags are preferable as there are not many dog poo bins around.
- For a late evening walk, try going down the track to the road and going right and first right, down towards the river. Enjoy the amazing night sky at the same time!
- If you want a meal out at somewhere that welcomes dogs, see the first FAQ. The Druid at Goginan is recommended by our visitors.
- Some of the best walks for dogs are in Hafod Forest where there are miles of amazingly beautiful walks. The Arch walks are good for a short run. Ynyslas beach is wonderful for dogs. It is just beyond Borth. Note there is a car park charge and the estuary is not safe for swimming.
- ALWAYS keep your dogs on a lead when sheep are in the same area and keep to footpaths. Lambs in Cwmystwyth usually arrive late March; it is especially important pregnant ewes are left unworried by dogs. Farmers can legally shoot dogs that are worrying sheep under section 9 of the Animal Act 1971.
- Our Golden Retriever loved going to the cottages and was especially fond of the underfloor heating in Penroc!
- Please don’t hesitate to email or call to be sure the cottages will meet the needs of your dogs! You can check out our entry on the Good Dog Guide site here.
Marjorie and Reg Budd at The Old Post Office almost next door will generously allow those staying to use her large capacity washing machine and tumble drier for a very small charge.
We aim to make your stay as comfortable as possible and provide the essentials…
- Bed linen
- Bath mat
- Tea towels and kitchen hand towel
- Liquid soap
- Washing up liquid and sponge
- One roll loo paper
- A ‘starter’ amount of kitchen roll
- Cling film and aluminium foil
- Salt and pepper
- A good selection of family games and DVDs and a bird book
- Cleaning following your departure
- All heat and light as needed including under floor heating in Penroc – loved by dogs and those in bare feet!
We suggest you might benefit from bringing:
- Wellies and waterproofs
- Insect repellant & Anthisan in the summer months
- The music centre in each cottage has a USB slot for your favourite music
- Washing powder (Ty Mari only)
- Suntan cream of course!
Car parking within the property grounds is on the gravelled area you can see in the photograph of the cottages . Overall there is just room for three cars but there is usually space just outside the property gates on common ground that is well away from the road. Please only use this if necessary as parking there impacts the view from Ty Mari dining area.
Both Ty Mari and Penroc have an iron along with a very small ironing board which is only suitable for ironing small areas at a time.
Minor roads can be very narrow and in the mountains the edges to the roads can have a steep drop…so go carefully! Speed cameras are ubiquitous, especially in parked white vans, so beware!
Recycling bags and garbage caddies are collected every FRIDAY from the roadside after 8am. For what is recycled, and what goes in your bags, food waste caddy and rubbish bins: CLICK.
For the FRIDAY dates that general rubbish is collected, CLICK.
For general rubbish, everything MUST go into the black bags provided, including disposable nappies and dog bags. Please work to keep this to a minimum. Please use biodegradable dog waste bags when possible.
On FRIDAY mornings please put the appropriate wheelie bins (and food waste caddy) by the roadside and return them to the cottage when they have been emptied.
Please put GLASS in the Garden store room (behind detached Garden Room in the appropriate container.